Link for online streaming (See information below.)
Christianity in America
Teacher: Tim McIntosh
Spring term: Wednesday nights, April 10–May 29
This class explores big questions about Christianity in America: Was America ever a Christian nation? How are we similar and different from comparable countries? Why did the Liberal/Conservative divide begin? Along the way we will meet the most influential personalities in the American church–from Billy Sunday to Billy Graham.
Why study church history? For this reason: Most Christians first experience Christianity–not through reading the Bible–but by going to church. We are raised in an interpretation of the Bible before we ever read the Bible. Thus, studying church history is uniquely valuable in understanding one’s expectations, hopes, and biases about the Old and New Testaments.
The class will meet at Gutenberg College in the main classroom. There is no charge for the class, but donations to Gutenberg College are gratefully accepted. This class is available for real-time video streaming. For instructions on how to participate, see below.
Information for streaming video:
- You will need a computer with a high-speed internet connection using any internet browser.
- You do not need to download any special software; the class uses Adobe Flash which is loaded on most computers. It is recommended that you have an updated version of Flash, which can be downloaded here: get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
- To attend the class, simply use this link (url): http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/jcrabtree01/. (Tim’s class will follow a class taught by Jack Crabtree.)
- The class will include an audio-video stream of Tim teaching. You will be able to interact and ask questions using a chat box.
- It is recommended that you try to log in prior to the beginning of class in order to make sure that your feed is working. A moderator will be available to assist you at least 15 minutes before class.
- Maximum online attendance is 25 participants. We will admit participants on a first-come, first-served basis.
Audio recordings of the class are available, or use the links below to access the recorded video streaming.
Video links for “Christianity in America”:
- February 20: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p5i6sfgdph5/
- February 27: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p8ucqyjgnl9/
- March 6: Class did not meet.
- April 3: Class did not meet.
- April 10: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p23jiq2qy4n/
- April 17: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p3k052fm9t8/
- April 24: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p6xl5684323/
- May 1: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p9ou7h03rqe/
- May 8: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p7wbpwpkss7/
- May 15: http://meet94806701.adobeconnect.com/p6icfhre3wh/
Tim McIntosh is a tutor at Gutenberg College. He earned his M.A. in theology from Reformed Theological Seminary.