MORE FROM GUTENBERG

Biblical Worldview Expressed

This year’s senior class will be graduating from Gutenberg in just under three weeks from now. The following quote was cited in one of the senior’s senior thesis this year. Personally, I know nothing of the novel or the author from which this quote was taken. But I was struck by how exactly congruent the sentiments contained in this quote are with the worldview that I have concluded is the worldview of the Bible. I am currently giving a series of talks on Biblical divine determinism and The Problem of Evil at Reformation Fellowship. The quote (from The Crossing, a novel by Cormac Mcarthy) expresses precisely the worldview that forms the basis of those talks:

There is but one world and everything that is imaginable is necessary to it. For this world also which seems to us a thing of stone and flower and blood is not a thing at all but is a tale. And all in it is a tale and each tale the sum of all lesser tales and yet these also are the selfsame and contain as well all else within them. So everything is necessary. Every least thing. This is the hard lesson. Nothing can be dispensed with. Nothing despised. Because the seams are hid from us, you see. The joinery. The way in which the world is made. We have no way to know what could be taken away. What omitted.

On a lighter note, but also exactly along the lines of the argument that I have been making in my talks at Reformation Fellowship, I received the following in an email:

I Personally Do Not Believe in JRR Tolkien.

No man could call himself a good author and let all those evil creatures be in his book. And look what happened to Gollum… If Tolkien were real, he could have wiped out Mordor with a stroke of the pen. –Douglas Grover, USMC, USA

One thought on “Biblical Worldview Expressed

1. I wonder if Tolkien were alive today (and knowing what he now knows), he would write a book like “The Annals of the First Age of New Earth” in which would be a glorious chapter on “The Redemption of Smeagol”. Frodo’s pity for Gollum could very well be a window into the heart of his Maker…now that would be a good story! He wasn’t able to write it here, but the likes of it seems to be already written on many hearts.

May we send you...?

Choose your subscriptions to our newsletter and/or email updates.

Subscribe

If this ministry is helpful to you, please consider supporting it as you are able. Even small donations help. Thank you.

Donate online